U.S. National Whitewater Center

Tuesday, May 26, 2015
So the other weekend when my mom was in town, we decided to finally cross off one of the last things on my Charlotte bucket list. The U.S. National Whitewater Center!




I know - Not such a glamorous photo. But that leads me into my first piece of advice:
DO NOT bring your phone. But if you must - make sure it's tucked tight in a backpack or has a lifeproof case. This is an adrenaline junkie park and the chance of dropping your phone into a raging river or getting it squashed by a mountain bike is 9 out of 10.


This place was a blast though. My body was sun burnt & sore for days afterwords.
They have zip lining, paddle boarding, kayaking, mountain biking and of course white water rafting.
Fun fact: it's where Olympians train!


There's nothing better than having fun while getting in a great workout.
Win-Win in my book
:)


This was my first time paddle boarding and let's just say I've been searching Craigs List for my own.
It was soo fun to paddle around and look at turtles and giant gar swim below me!
I promise it's not nearly as hard as it looks.
You gotta try it.



Now for the takeaways:

This place is expensive. While I wish I could go every weekend, it's definitely a once-a-Summer activity.
We didn't get to white water raft because we showed up later in the day and it cost extra. To get the best bang for your buck, show up right when they open and do as much as you can!
And go on a weekday. I hear it gets obnoxiously packed on the weekends. We went on a Monday and had easy access to everything - no lines.

They provide everything you need. Life jackets, helmets, bikes, paddle boards....they will provide it all! All you have to do is show up wealthy and well hydrated.

The locker system sucks. I'm definitely not one to be pessimistic but in all reality, it does. You pay $2 for your locker, then you have to pay $2 again for every time you want to re-open it.
Soaking wet Steph was not happy she had to pay $2 to change her clothes.

This is a very strenuous park. You have to walk a lot to get to each activity. Sometimes with 10lbs of harness gear attached to your body, in 100% humidity, in a ruthless Southern Sun.
You've been warned.


On the plus side, if you live in the area, I hear their Thursday night River Jam sessions are really dope.
Live music, food and craft beer - all after hours at the park - Count us in!
It's definitely on my agenda to check out some day this Summer.
Just hope I don't have to pay $2 for a Solo cup.


Get over it Steph.


lol



________________________________






Alright y'all. It's almost 5PM so you know what time it is.
;)

2 comments:

  1. HA!!!! 'DOPE'! You silly millennium!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA yeah I'm straight G! You are my 111th comment so you're special! Have you ever been to the Whitewater Center!?

      Delete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design