Exploring the Lowcountry: Boone Hall Plantation

Monday, May 18, 2015
....also known as Allie's house in The Notebook.



My mom was in town all last week and we had SO much fun. We were exploring non-stop. My body is sore, I have about 700 photos to go through & edit, and I crossed a ton of things off of my bucket list.

Success.

It was a real treat to have my mom in town for mother's day weekend; I hadn't seen her since last August. She's my only parent and my best friend. Her and I have one of those soul connections, where no matter how long you haven't seen each other, as soon as you reunite, it's as if no time has passed at all...




The day after she arrived we woke up early and headed down to good ol' Charleston.
Even though there was a hurricane brewing right over the area.


Good thing I love storms.

So Boone Hall Plantation.
My favorite SC plantation thus far.

Sure I may be a little bias because it's so neat to see where The Notebook was filmed.
But it's fun to step back in time and see the 'Old South'





There are so many striking features of this place. The Avenue of Oaks that you first drive down to reach the plantation is the first sight that will make your jaw drop.




Another one is the line of old slave homes along the edge of the road as you near the main house.


It's so surreal. My first reaction to these homes was to turn a blind eye and pretend like that time in history never happened. It's horrendous. But of course you can't deny history, so I went inside every single one and read the story of the people who inhabited them.

Heavy energy.
If you ever visit Boone Hall, I highly suggest taking the time to read the stories in each one of these slave homes. It's very informative and eye opening. It only further encourages me to teach my future family to not see physical appearances; but to see souls.



As you can tell our trip was soggy.
The heavy wind and misty rain never stopped.

But - because we don't care about muddy shoes and crazy hair - we pretty much had the place to ourselves.
Just the way I like it.



Of course as soon as we had enough and left, the sun came out.
But we had dinner reservations at Poogan's Porch downtown Charleston so we had to hit the road!




Since I just ate at Husk last month, and they are right next door to each other, I'll compare the two.

Husk has a cooler style, Poogan's has better food.
Husk has a more Old South feel with a modern flare, Poogan's is straight old South.

I can't recommend just one because it depends what you're going for.
If you're looking for an experience = Husk
If you're looking to eat divine Southern Soul food = Poogan's

And of course each comes fully equipped with a front porch swing and haint blue ceiling ;)
(if you're not sure what I'm talking about, see #7 here.)
They are both some of Charleston's most popular restaurants, so reservations will definitely be required.

__________________

Up next I'll share our adventures at the oldest Oak tree East of the Mississippi and I went back HERE during the height of tropical storm Ana.... can't wait to share those photos.

Until then, follow me on Instagram @freespiritfun1 where I post every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design