Pacific Northwest (Part 1)

Tuesday, September 16, 2014
When I was growing up, my mom was a nurse at our local hospital.
Being around people suffering from poor health really puts a perspective on your own life.
And she once told me a story about one of her patients that really stuck with me...



He was a 65 year old man with a wife around the same age. Parents, grandparents, hard working people who were good with their money... they were really nice folk.

Married in their early twenties, they had big dreams of saving up every penny they earned to retire at a decent age and travel the country in a Winnebago.

So, as newlyweds, they really pinched pennies and lived below their means. They soon became parents and constantly withheld on taking their family on vacations because they needed to save in case of emergencies and, of course, for that golden dream of retirement.



Flash forward 40 years. They did it! They saved up a great deal of money to retire and live comfortably but most of all: TRAVEL.
They get to see places and spaces they always dreamed of since they were young.

So they called it quits on the workforce, purchased that Winnebago, packed up their belongings and hit the road to discover what's out there.


The night before they leave, the man suffers a serious stroke. He is rushed to the hospital but it's too late; the stroke caused permanent nerve damage and he is now disabled.. For the rest of his life.

No more golfing. No walking around the Grand Canyon, through the Redwood Forest, or on the sandy Florida beaches.

Just like that, their dream is shattered. Their funds are drained from medical bills and there will be no travel.



The End.

_________________________


This is a very sad but true story. The man and his wife kept telling my mom how upset they were that they waited all these years, always said no to taking trips in their youth, just to end up with this. With nothing.


Moral of this story; you are only young once. Take advantage of it. Don't try to rush through life to get to the 'golden road'.  Enjoy this time, this youth and vitality, to the absolute fullest while you can because tomorrow, no matter what age you are....is never guaranteed

___________________________


Earlier this Summer, on a rare cloudy & cool day, my random mind thought; 'How cool would it be to have my first pumpkin spice latte of the Fall season at the original Starbucks... in SEATTLE?'


So, with that sad story in mind, I did this:


I went.
And it was everything and more that I could have imagined.



Pike Place is so cool. A giant, hipster-themed Farmer's Market is a great way to explain it.
You can buy fresh seafood from the bay, large bouquets of flowers for 5 bucks and of course, get the most delicious coffee at the original Starbucks. I sware it tastes 10X better.
Placebo effect? Maybe.

The cobblestone alley is lined with extremely talented local artists selling their work. Everything from pottery, to paintings and the occasional cloud of marijuana smoke, Pike Place had it all.

It's legal in Washington.


So after we hopped off the plane and took in Pike Place, we drove over to Bremerton across the bay to crash. Boy was I pooped. I'm getting too old for all this travel.

Said me.
Never.




We woke up Wednesday bright and early (Thanks Jetlag!) and hit the road to our next destination:
Port Angeles, WA.


This town was my favorite throughout the entire trip. So quiet & quaint. The locals were all so friendly (and extremely happy about the sunny weather)

Port Angeles is a seaside town that has a major ferry system that takes people to and from Canada. Definitely adding that to my bucket list for next time.

Before we checked into our cabin, we decided to check out Hurricane Ridge. I will note that when I book these somewhat spontaneous trips, I don't plan anything. I literally book a flight. Book a hotel. Then wing it.
And somehow, it always ends up way funner than anything I could have planned.

So how did we find Hurricane Ridge?
INSTAGRAM! Ha!
I was browsing hashtags at the hotel in Bremerton, checking out PNW (Pacific NorthWest) photographers feeds and noticed a lot of them went to this Hurricane Ridge place to take photos.


So, off we went!




On your way up to the top there are several viewpoint stops. This one was my favorite because of the wildlife and view of Canada. I had no idea I captured that bird until I uploaded my photos to my computer - pleasant surprise ;-)




You know when I booked this trip I did it with the intention of getting several great 'fog' shots.
Didn't happen.


After a short 20 minute drive to Hurricane Ridge, we arrived to one of the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen in my life.


Welcome.




There is a visitors center at the top where you can buy lunch and enjoy it with this view. Several other short walking trails wrapped around the mountain tops. Artists had their easels set up in the sun, peacefully painting the mountains. It was absolutely perfect. Add this place to your to-do list if you ever make it out here.


After Hurricane ridge it was starting to get late in the evening so we ventured to our cozy mountain cottage to check in....





THIS PLACE.


I died and went to heaven. The man who owns it, Darin, is a great guy who opens his home to travelers passing through. I've stayed in so many 5-star hotels, penthouse suites, you name it.
Nothing compares to this place.




It has two lofts with the coolest ladders to climb up, the cutest little kitchen and bathroom....


AND CATS!!


I looked high.



I looked low.




There were cats everywhere you go!





Needless to say I was in cat lady paradise.
Mitch wasn't a fan of me bringing them all home.
I tried.




This cottage has full access to a sauna Darin built himself, a grill area, a fire pit area, gardens, and so many other recreational activities.





I think I connected to this place so much because it reminded me of my childhood in Indiana... minus the gorgeous mountain views. ;-)
This little farm is home to several 'misfit' animals. A blind cow, the sweetest mini horse, a flock of geese, llamas, and two pups. Did I mention this place is heaven? I would love to own something like this someday..




Rescue unwanted animals, AND give travelers a cheap, cozy place to stay?
I need to get on this.


We ended our day with the most delicious dinner at Bella's Italian Restaurant downtown Port Angeles where, yes, Edward & Bella had their first date in the movie Twilight. You can order 'Bella's Mushroom Ravioli' just like in the movie ;-)


After eating a full size plate of the best smoked salmon alfredo I've ever had in my 25 years of life, Mitch rolled me to the car and took me back to our cottage where me & 10 extra pounds spent the rest of the evening re-living childhood memories in a tire swing while the sun set over the mountains...



So happy.


We woke up early the next morning and took a walk around the farm in the frosty grass. We bid a cold but sunny farewell to all of our animal friends, hopped in the car and headed West to the beach....





....To be continued.

11 comments:

  1. I don't know if there are words to describe how much I love this. Tim went to Seattle as a teenager and has said many times he wants to bring me. I wasn't sure until now! Heaven really does exist in the US!! I absolutely love your sense of adventure. The story you wrote up top is totally true too. I hear something similar all the time where I work and it makes me value this time in my twenties so much more. Just out of curiosity, which plane did you take there and was it a direct flight? Your pictures are so so so amazing!! You got so lucky with no clouds, with my luck it would be rainy the entire time haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell Tim to get on it and take you out there! ;-) That place is another world, for sure. I dream of the day I return. We flew Southwest from Charlotte to Chicago then on to Seattle. I'll bet you could find a red eye flight from Boston to Seattle. I could not BELIEVE I came home with a tan!! All the locals assured us that September is the absolute best time to visit!

      Delete
    2. Haha oh my gosh who knew! Maybe next September :)

      Delete
  2. This is a terrific blog entry! Wonderful images and I love your intro tale. Next time you guys go, take me with you? I swear I'm created to drink coffee and shoot pics in the cool misty weather of the northwest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean!! Heck yes you can come along - I really want to explore Mt.Rainier! There are small, family owned coffee 'huts' dotted throughout the highways - all of their coffee is strong brewed, too. So perfect! No fog for me unfortunately - the locals told me September is always bright and sunny. Good to know for next time lol

      Delete
  3. I love everything about this post! You have quite the niche for sharing your adventures through amazing photographs and writing. I love your outlook on life! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tessa! I really appreciate that. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read!

      Delete
  4. Waking up in the mornings and reading your posts over coffee is like crack to me! I love them all so much. So happy for you and your adventuring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Wowzas I love that compliment. Now I feel motivated to blog a lot more - you're the best my girl :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! The story of the couple waiting to travel is a good reminder to, as my son-in-law says, "smoke 'em while you got 'em ." Use the good dishes and whatever else you have as life is for living. Love the photos and that sweet cabin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh 'smoke em while you got em' I love that. Of course we still put money aside for 401K and all that 'fun stuff' but we definitely aren't holding back when it comes to adventure. We don't have cable, don't buy new clothes or shoes often, and have an organized grocery plan every week lol we're tryin!

      Delete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design