Fly Over States.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014
'One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
He said, “My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.
“One is Evil – It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.
“The other is Good – It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”'





This week, I'm feeding the good wolf.


September has been a wild, restless month for me.
I've lived in three different time zones, started a new intense job, and I've been away from home for almost 2 weeks straight. Living out of a hotel. Battling to eat healthy while on the road.


Normally this would cause me so much anxiety. Especially my first day of work with new tasks, faces, and personalities to learn. However I noticed this time around, I wasn't nervous. I really haven't had any anxiety since I got here. And I think it's because as soon as the clock hits 5, I run off to this.....




I drive. I explore. Alone.
I turn up the music & stick my hand out the window to feel the breeze.
I take in the smell of dried up Fall corn fields...

I feed my good wolf :)

This Cherokee lesson was thrown on my path right when I arrived here in IL and it has worked wonders for my mood. Like all human beings on earth, I have my days where I want to bolt out the doors, run into the cornfields and just scream. But now, I find myself saying in my head:
'Steph, which wolf are you feeding?'
and I immediately switch up my thought process.


Give it a try, I think you'll be surprised how easy it works...


_______________


So I've been thinking. I don't know how some people can label the Midwest 'boring' or a place they have no desire to visit. Sure it may not have picturesque mountains or white sand beaches. But if you just train your mind to find joy in the ordinary, simple things....you would be pleasantly surprised by this place.


Me personally, I cannot get enough of flat land. And I've seen it all - California Redwoods to Key West beaches.

There is just something about being able to see for miles and miles that makes my heart so full.




I've already mentally planned a late Spring trip to Oklahoma/Kansas to chase storms.

So last week -- after a super long, exhausting work week -- the weekend finally rolled around and I woke up bright & early Saturday ready to FINALLY explore something other than a corporate building.


My first stop:



Florida.


Kidding! This is Lake Michigan!!!
I sware.


I took this photo at the unbelievable Indiana Dunes State Park.
As I'm sure a lot of you know because I'm always boasting about it, I was born and partially raised in Southern Indiana. It's my home, it's where my roots (I just typed 'ruits' wow I need to go to bed) came to fruition and it's such a large part of who I am today. So being a tourist in my home state was really bizarre, but seeing this beautiful 'ocean' in Indiana was just mind blowing. I'm used to corn fields and the not-so-pretty Ohio River. This is crazy!



For a Saturday, this place was pretty empty. I nearly had the whole place to myself.
Perfect for photos...



Isn't that sky just wild? It looks exactly like a painting...


The sand dunes were so much fun to explore. Great workout going up and down those hills!

You know what else I couldn't wrap my head around?
GEESE. Landing in this 'ocean'
whaaat!?


So bizarre.



As I was walking around collecting flowers and shells, I noticed limos and catering vehicles starting to show up. They were setting up for a wedding. I thought wow, what an absolutely perfect place and perfect day to get married! Although I never saw the couple, I was full of joy for them.

The sun was hot and I was getting thirsty. I decide to pack up and bid my farewell to this park when all the sudden I hear a very familiar piano note coming from the wedding area....



This song. I have been head over heels for it ever since I heard it premier on The Highway radio station in February. It came from the wedding DJ setting up shop, and he was blasting it. It sounded like a live show. It echoed throughout the beach and I just couldn't help myself....



I danced.


All by myself I spun around in the sand. Didn't take one minute to stop and think if anyone saw me. I didn't care at all; the music took over. I can't even describe to you how free and happy I felt. With the biggest smile on my face I sang every single word and danced.
Perfect song, perfect day, perfect beach.
Cloud 9... I'll truly never forget this moment.





After my impromptu dance sesh, I walked barefoot to the car and started to shake the sand out of my shoes. I glanced up one last time to take a mental snapshot of the area and this pretty little path caught my eye....




It's like those flowers were calling my name, just waiting for me.
So?
I did what anyone cursed by Wanderlust would do.
I locked the car, threw my shoes back on and followed it.


It led to this:

A magical lagoon littered with lilly pads, willow trees, and a drawing bridge straight from a Disney movie.
I don't find these places, they find me.

Stephy in Wonderland....




As much as I wanted to stay here for...well...ever, Chipotle was calling my name.
Best day ever.

_____________________________




Sunday I took it easy.
I drove to Kankakee River State Park and did some light exploring.
I walked a few miles in the woods and got some 'why is she by herself' stares, snapped a few photos of black squirrels, but then I came across a barely noticeable leaf-covered path in the woods that turned out to lead to a big rock/cliff over looking the river...

It was a little slice of heaven.





You just never know what you'll find if you can muster up the courage to take the path less traveled...

;-)


The rest of the day was spent blasting music & driving the back roads of Illinois.....






I saw the most beautiful homes that were tucked away in the fields with giant backyards and cats running around freely. I saw country boys spinning up dust on gravel roads in their big trucks having a good ol' time.
Hell I even waved at some truckers on the highway and made their day.
It's the little things ya know? :-)





It's by a long shot that my most favorite part of the Midwest has been the sunsets.
Ohhh me oh my would you look at this sky....



I wish I could time warp you all out here so you could spend an evening sitting on the roof of my little rental car with me and watch this event go down. Pun intended.
I've been taking all of my photos out here with my iPhone so of course it just doesn't do this image justice.
Mainly because the sun is HUGE when you're seeing it in person.
Drops my jaw every time....




_______________


I'm having a blast out here exploring new land.
I sware it's what I was put on this earth for.
But I would totally be lying if I said I didn't miss my home.
My routine.
My cats.
Long walks in the red dirt.
Mitch too I guess.
;-)

I head home Friday evening and I can't wait. BUT you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be cruising these flat roads every evening after work catching that gorgeous sunset and soaking in every chirp from a cricket and every stalk of corn blowing in the wind....


Damn it feels so good to be a:


2 comments:

  1. You did it again!! Totally made my day :) Thank you so much for sharing. Your pictures look like paintings and I love the idea of feeding the good wolf. So inspiring. You and I need to travel together sometime/ meet in the middle of nowhere and find the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this as always!!!!!! And ps if you're going home Friday- I won't miss you when I come home!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design